Monday, November 17, 2008

Non-Christians Wanting to Go To Heaven

I have been thinking about this all day...


I have been asked a few times in my life, "If you could go to heaven, with all of your friends and family, Chick-fil-a for every meal, sweet tea whenever you wanted it, all your favorite activities, all your favorite things that you've ever had, all the fun things you've ever done, without any harmful things to you or your surroundings, no sickness, no emotional pain, could you be happy in heaven, if Christ wasn't there". I used to see this as a very, very tough question. I don't so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, all that stuff would be pretty sweet. But I would only be happy for like...a couple of days(if that), but If Christ isn't there, I don't want to have any part of it. He is the reason for heaven. I want to be there praising Him for eternity, not playing madden and eating freebirds. He is the reason for everything, and to have that stuff without Him, it would just get old and tiresome. This brings me to my main point. Why is it when a non-believer is asked what will happen to them when they die, the majority say, "Uhh.. I don't know. I think I've lived a pretty good life, so I think I'll end up somewhere nice. I'll probably go to heaven."? Why that response? They know nothing of Jesus, thus, they know nothing of heaven. Why would you want to spend eternity in a place that you know nothing about? I don't understand this. I see this as being like a person who dislikes sports wanting to go to every football, basketball, soccer, etc. event they can. If you dislike sports so much, why would you want to spend so much time watching them? If you don't want to have anything to do with God, why would you want to spend eternity with Him? That happiness that Christian feel in heaven, non-Christians would not feel. So what is their place there? They would be the ones who have boredom and unhappiness. This has puzzled me all day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent points. I like your point about only wanting to go if Christ is there. The only reason I am even OK with everlasting life is that I get to be with God. I think you also raised a good point about why would someone who doesn't know God or is even against God want to be with God in heaven. Great post.

Chris said...

This is good stuff. Being in the presence of God will be awesome.

Grace is doing a series on Heaven. This week's sermon addressed the question of what eternity will be like. I went to a different service, so I heard a different speaker, but I'm sure the one posted on their website contains the same points. A good listen on the iPod.

MP3= http://www.grace-bible.org/downloads/sermons/Heaven/BF08124A1_Heaven_Is_It_Worth_The_Wait.mp3

NOTES= http://www.grace-bible.org/downloads/sermons/Heaven/BF08124A1_Heaven_Is_It_Worth_The_Wait.htm

SLIDES= http://www.grace-bible.org/downloads/sermons/Heaven/BF08124A1_Heaven_Is_It_Worth_The_Wait.ppt